The Daviess County Soil & Water Conservation District was formed in 1941 to provide information about soil, water and related natural resource conservation; identify and prioritize local soil and water resource concerns; and connect land users to sources of educational, technical and financial assistance to implement conservation practices and technologies.

 Office InformationOur office 250 x 188

Location: 2526 East National Highway, Washington IN 47501

 Phone: 812-254-4780,ext.3  Email:

 Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Closed weekends and holidays 


Our Mission:

To provide educational, technical and financial assistance to all Daviess County residents in order to maintain a clean and wholesome environment in which to work and live.

By visiting and using the Daviess County Soil & Water Conservation District website, you are subject to, and understand the terms of our Privacy Policy.

Indiana Farmers See Relief on DUNS and SAM Requirements

Indianapolis, May 25, 2018 – Thanks to a change in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018, farmers in Indiana who apply for financial assistance programs through USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will no longer need a Dun and Bradstreet Universal Number System (DUNS) number, or to register in the System for Award Management (SAM).

“This change streamlines the process for both farmers and staff because it greatly simplifies the contracting and payment process for current and new participants,” said Gerald Roach, Acting State Conservationist in Indiana. “Participants that are currently enrolled in any of our conservation programs will soon receive letters from NRCS with more details.”

DUNS/SAM registration is still required for:

  • Federal agreements with partners under the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (Agricultural Land Easements and Wetland Reserve Easements).
  • Watershed operations agreements with project sponsors.
  • Emergency Watershed Protection Program agreements with project sponsors, including recovery and floodplain easements.
  • All cooperative, contribution, interagency, or partnership agreements used by NRCS to procure goods or services, including the Regional Conservation Partnership Program.
  • Other nonexempt landowners and producers.

Roach advises participants in NRCS programs to ignore any emails, phone calls or other communications from third-party vendors offering assistance for registering in SAMS or applying for a DUNS number.

To learn more about NRCS financial and technical assistance, go to


Gerald Roach, Acting State Conservationist, 317-295-5801 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Adam Heichelbech, Acting Assistant State Conservationist, Programs, 317-295-5857 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Becky Fletcher, State Public Affairs Specialist, 317-295-5825 (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

Upcoming Events

Rain Barrel Sale 

The Daviess County SWCD and the City of Washington's Stormwater Department are offering 50-gallon rain barrels for sale. Barrels are $65.00 + IN sales tax. Contact the SWCD if you are interested in purchasing a rain barrel, or print out the order form and mail it with your payment.

Click here for order form.

Client Gateway

Farmers, ranchers and private forest landowners can now do business with USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) through an online portal. With the launch of the Conservation Client Gateway, producers will have the ability to work with conservation planners online to access Farm Bill programs, request assistance, and track payments for their conservation activities. The Conservation Client Gateway is secure and is entirely voluntary, giving producers a choice between conducting business online or traveling to the USDA Service Center. To learn more, visit:

Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Natural Resources...

...But didn't know who to ask! Whether you have owned your land for a lifetime, or are a new Indiana landowner, you may have questions when it comes to land use and conservation. This is a quick guide for who to call and where to look when you have questions about natural resources and conservation on your land in Indiana.

Indiana Conservation Answer Guide



NACD white bg blue C resized